Tonight I used my Instant Pot to make some really delicious shepherds pie! Luckily, it was successful and I already discovered a lot about my instant pot. I decided on this recipe because I just really wanted a good and hearty homemade recipe for my first “experiment.” I retrieved my recipe from https://www.adventuresofanurse.com/2017/01/12/not-mamas-instant-pot-shepards-pie/
For this Learning Project blog post and for the rest that I will do, I will be posting the recipe and instructions with a picture by picture of what I did.
Recipe I used:
5 red potatoes that are peeled and cubed
1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
1 pack of onion soup mix
2 tbs of butter
1 cup of mixed veggies
2 cups of water
1 cup of sour cream
1/4 cup of milk
1 packet of brown gravy mix
1 cup shredded cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
(Missing from picture is the ground beef)
1. I started out by putting my instant pot on the “saute” setting. I had to bring out the instruction manual because I seriously did not know how to work it and I was so terrified of messing it up! Luckily, I figured it out and got this show on the road. While on saute, I put my ground beef and onion soup packet in and mixed this until there was no powder visible. Cook until the beef is browned and crumbly.
2. Add water and veggies. I used frozen mixed veggies and it worked perfectly.
3. Bring out your veggie steamer (which is an appliance that comes with the instant pot that looks like a cooking rack with handles) and place your potatoes on top. Now put your instant pot on manual high pressure for 17 minutes.
4. Do a quick release. This is where you turn the dial at the top of your instant pot to the side and push down the red button beside it. Since this is a pressure cooker, you do not want to ever just open the lid. You will most likely burn yourself from the very hot steam so do this step with caution! This was the most daunting part for me. Do this until you have relieved all of the steam and pressure. I did this for at least 5 minutes.
5. Remove your potatoes from the instant pot and put into a separate bowl. In the bowl add the milk, butter, and the salt and pepper to taste. Mash the potatoes until smooth. Kept set aside.
6.Put instant pot on saute again and pour in packet of gravy mix along with the sour cream and stir for 30-40 minutes
7.Preheat oven to broil on high.
8.Pour beef mixture evenly into a oven safe dish, top with mash potatoes, and then top with the shredded cheese.
9.Place in oven for 2 and a half minutes
10.Once out of the oven, let stand for 10 minutes
(Side note: the second dish was for my boyfriend not the dog! She wishes!)
Things I would do differently:
- I would add in a 1/4 cup of fresh diced onion when you initially saute the ground beef, it was lacking that.
- I would also use less water. I found it to be very watery so therefore, I added in a tbsp of cornstarch to thicken the mixture before I placed it in the oven.
Level of difficulty and would I make this again?:
- I would rate this as easy. There was next to no prep time and once you figured out the buttons and how to do the quick release, it was a breeze. I would overall, absolutely make it again. It was very delicious.